- Engineering, Technology, Education, Life Science, Geoscience
- AMSER: Applied Math and Science Education Repository, M.I.T.
- Provider Set:
- AMSER: Applied Math and Science Education Repository, AMSER LAR Collection, M.I.T. OpenCourseWare
- High School, Community College / Lower Division, College / Upper Division, Graduate / Professional, Career / Technical, Adult Education
- Material Type:
- Diagram/Illustration, Full Course, Homework/Assignment, Interactive, Lecture Notes, Lesson Plan, Reading, Student Guide, Syllabus
- Media Format:
- Downloadable docs, Text/HTML
- AMSER Abstract:
Applied Math and Science Education Repository
- AMSER: Applied Math and Science Education Repository Abstract:
This course, taught by Prof. Charles Leiserson and Prof. Saman Amarasinghe of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, lectures on modern computing platforms. These platforms provide unprecedented amounts of raw computational power. But significant complexity comes along with this power, to the point that making useful computations exploit even a fraction of the potential of the computing platform is a substantial challenge. Indeed, obtaining good performance requires a comprehensive understanding of all layers of the underlying platform, deep insight into the computation at hand, and the ingenuity and creativity required to obtain an effective mapping of the computation onto the machine. This course is a hands-on, project-based introduction to building scalable and high-performance software systems.